Wednesday 12 January 2011

"Comfortable"















I recently led a painting course at Earnley Concourse, Chichester. The title of which was 'Paint Your Pet in Watercolour'. Animals are always a popular subject and people want to paint their cats, dogs, parrots, goldfish etc. Trouble is, animals don't make it easy for us, do they? Even a cat, which may sleep all day, will suddenly become animated at the sight of a pencil and paper. We started with some lively contour, or gesture, drawings. Working from photos (It's just not practical to bring along the real thing!) we soon got into it. I find these initiatal sketches help students to loosen up and make them start to observe features and proportions.
By the time we get the paints out, everyone is in the right frame of mind and less hesitant.
I painted the cat, above, during a demonstration. I began with an all-over wash, dropping colours into the appropriate areas. Once dry, I finished off with a few hard-edged, wet-on-dry washes.
Miaow!

4 comments:

brincrish said...

What a wonderful picture....I so admire your loose wet style! I am still trying to sort out resources to attend one of your painting courses. Coming all the way from India, it will have to be a longish residential one!

Mary said...

David, I recently discovered your work when I purchased your book on painting still lifes.

I am just beginning my watercolor journey. I am a long way from being anywhere near your level of skill and talent, but I am so happy to have found your work and it is great to have you as an inspiration.

I wish you could teach a workshop in the US! Maybe someday?

In the meantime, I'll have to keep learning from a distance.

David Webb said...

Thank you both for your comments. It's good to hear that watercolour has a big following around the planet!
It would be really great to be a globe-trotting tutor. However, with a young son who's just started school it's not possible right now. Maybe when he's 18?

Anonymous said...

Hello David, this is a great picture: maximum effect with a minimum of effort (as it seems). I recently came across your book about painting animals when browsing through the library shelves. I admire the loose but accurate style in your pictures and it inspired me to do this picture: http://chkreb.wordpress.com/2011/04/12/rabbit/.

Regards
Christian